Data types in C Programming Language are used to declare the memory location that determines the characteristics of the data.
- There is an associated data type with each variable.
- Different data types require different amount of memory.
There are 5 common data types in C:
- char: IN C it is the most basic data type and It stores a single character and requires a single byte of memory in almost all compilers.
- int: It is used to store an integer.
- float: It is used to store decimal numbers with single precision.
- double: It is used to store decimal numbers with double precision.
- void – valueless special purpose type data type.
Different data types also have different ranges
Data Type Memory (bytes) Range Format Specifier short int 2 -32,768 to 32,767 %hd unsigned short int 2 0 to 65,535 %hu unsigned int 4 0 to 4,294,967,295 %u int 4 -2,147,483,648 to 2,147,483,647 %d long int 4 -2,147,483,648 to 2,147,483,647 %ld unsigned long int 4 0 to 4,294,967,295 %lu long long int 8 -(2^63) to (2^63)-1 %lld unsigned long long int 8 0 to 18,446,744,073,709,551,615 %llu signed char 1 -128 to 127 %c unsigned char 1 0 to 255 %c float 4 %f double 8 %lf long double 12 %Lf