Facebook is a very powerful marketing tool, which is why we bring to this Facebook marketing tutorial! It is the world’s largest social network. It provides brands and businesses with an opportunity to maximize visibility when implementing a Facebook marketing strategy.
At times, getting started might seem to be a tough part. Still, with this Facebook marketing tutorial, you can get your marketing efforts off to a running start. Read on to get the most out of this social media platform!
Facebook marketing can be done in three major ways by business enterprises: pages targeted Ads and groups. We will look at each of these in turn, focusing on their usefulness and relevant tips to get the best out of them.
What is Facebook Marketing?
Like any other marketing, the intent of Facebook marketing is to provide visibility to the brand and business. It also helps businesses to connect with customers on a personal level through comments and direct messages. There are numerous ways in which Facebook marketing can be done successfully.
Why Facebook Marketing?
Facebook is definitely the most popular social media platform. The founder has announced that they have already reached the 2 billion mark and it’s not speculation that the numbers will surely increase over the years. Making maximum use of Facebook for marketing has, therefore, become a matter of urgency and close attention.
3 Ways to Connect With Your Customers on Facebook
Facebook provides you the opportunity to create different types of pages, ranging from a local business page, Company, organization or institution page, Brand or Product page, and Cause or Community page. Each of these pages has its own advantage and uniqueness.
Facebook Page is made visible to the public and people can like your page. When a business page is liked, the person becomes subsequently subscribed to receive updates from you. That is, anything you post will be sent to their own personal page or news feed.
Facebook Pages are very easy to set up and are greatly advantageous especially when the business already have a base of customers that they can refer to like their page from their websites and from there use those customers as the base point from which other people get to see and like the page
Tips for successful Facebook Pages
- Ensure that all your content contains useful information that has the capacity to generate a lead, build a good relationship with people. Content should be as concise as possible, containing relevant links to your website. Content can vary from product information, announcements, company information, customers appreciation and so on
- Ensure that your profile picture is your company logo and your cover image says a whole lot about your company
- Use the ‘About’ section to give eye-catching persuasive information about your company and what you do.
- Create other custom tabs that are relevant to your business. Apart from the ‘About us’, Profile tab, Facebook allows you to have custom tabs where you deem necessary. Maximize but don’t misuse it
- Be very responsive to messages and comments on your page to show seriousness and that you value your customers.
- Make your page interactive. Create relevant, interesting discussions that are built around your company and product or the industry in general.
- Use the milestones feature to add business awards and accomplishments. Go to ‘timeline’ on your page and click ‘offer, event+’
- Use Facebook insights to know how your page is doing and if your target audience find your content engaging and interesting or not
- Add the Facebook button to your website
Targeted advertising is one of the beauties of Facebook. Facebook a variety of ads targeted towards a variety of people. When your target market has been well defined, using a Facebook Ad will be very profitable. Facebook has different ads set that either generate traffic to your website, boost likes and engagements for your page, install and promote your apps, direct people to your business, e-commerce platform or event. These ads will be specified as to the demographics you want to reach, the age group, the location, the Users interests amongst others
Facebook also ensure ads customization making it possible for you to have different customization for the different target audience. It also has a feature that is great as a means of response. When someone sees your ad, they have the option to view it or hide it.
When your ads are hidden and not viewed, Facebook asks the user to choose from a range of reasons why they made such a choice. This sort of information can be useful for your marketing plans.
Tips for successful Facebook Ads
- Excellent market research must be done prior to the placing of the ad.
- Defining the target audience might be the single most important factor for success or for failure.
- When you choose an ad, Facebook lets you know what the bids are for similar ads, ensure that your bid is in line with what others in your industry are bidding
- Find out what words, phrases, images are of great interest to your target audience. Knowing what interests your target audience is very key to the whole process. This ensures that you are not just doing what you like but what your customers like.
- Focus initially on your existing customers and the fans on your Facebook page
- Use the Facebook audience insights to learn more about your demographics. ( ads manager under the ‘Tools’ drop-down menu)
- Use the ‘Lookalike audiences’ feature to see a lot of people who share the same demographics and interests with the people who for example have made a purchase or have followed the link to your website. This helps to reach more people who are like your best customers
Creating a Facebook group related to your product or to your industry can provide some advantages. Facebook group is also a medium that can be maximized by business enterprises for marketing. Facebook groups are like forums. It also works by you joining an existing group related to your product or industry where you can create networks with prospective customers:
- When you click on ‘groups’ from ‘Profile’, Facebook also provides a list of suggested groups that will help in joining the right one.
- Tips for successful Facebook Groups
- Don’t be too self-focused. Let the group be about helping people, providing useful information, answering questions. With this, in the long term, you will find people who trust you and can rely on your offerings
- Use Facebook groups to provide traffic to your Facebook page
- Engage with potential customers in the groups. Know their real needs and wants, know the reasons for their dissatisfaction among others
- Turn your Facebook group to customer support. Use the interactions with customers to provide support
6 Step Facebook marketing tutorial
1. Set your goals
The first is to set the right goals. This is essential to measure the success rate of your Facebook marketing plan. If you don’t have any get goals yet, here are a few common goals that Facebook marketing can help achieve:
Increasing the quality of sales: A well-planned Facebook marketing plan can help reach target audiences more efficiently.
Adding value to the brand or business: Facebook helps you identify the needs of your audience that, in turn, better nurtures customers, improves awareness, and provides more resources. Facebook is a great source of information.
Efficiency in recruiting: Social recruiting is on the rise, with remote working becoming the new normal. In such times, social platforms like Facebook help recruit top talent faster.
Better growth: Decrease in the churn, limited spending, and increase in the acquisition are what makes a business successful. Facebook helps you do the same through ad spend, increased targeting, etc.
Additionally, if your company already has set goals, you should find a balance with your plans for marketing on Facebook.
2. Know your audience
Invest time to get a clear picture of your existing audience base and establish a persona of the ideal audience you would like to target. This will help you tailor content to suit your audiences perfectly.
To get to know your audiences or your customers, you would need to run market research. You should find the answers to –
- Who are your customers?
- What is their average age, gender, location?
- What are their preferences and interests?
One of the biggest mistakes people make before jumping into Facebook is not taking the time to know their audience. The better the sense of who they are, their likes and preferences, the easier it will be to create relatable content.
3. Develop a content strategy
The next important step is to create content that your audiences can relate to and gain new followers by sharing your content. The content you post will, of course, depend on the kind of business you are running. However, here are a few content formats that have seen quite a great audience interaction in the past.
Image-based content: According to studies, posts with images have had an 87% interaction rate! There are many kinds of post images that you should consider sharing –
- Images where customers have tagged your business
- New features of your products/services
- Behind the scenes sneak peek of your employees
- Images from recently held events, webinars, collaborations, etc.
Video content: There is no wrong answer with video content. You can either share videos outside your content on Facebook or create them on your own. These can include –
- Product tutorials
- Promotional videos
- Short clips showcasing upcoming events, etc.
Links to blog content: If you have a blog, you should also consider sharing content from your blog on Facebook. This will encourage your customers to interact and engage with you over other platforms and drive traffic back to your blog.
4. Schedule your Facebook posts
The next important step is to get into the finer details of posting content to Facebook. You wouldn’t want to post at random and especially when you have great resourceful knowledge at your disposal. This is why you should have a content plan that is scheduled to post frequently.
But how often should you post your content on Facebook? Studies have shown that the average is one post per day, which is just enough to engage. On the other hand, posting multiple times in a day has seen a large drop-off in engagement. But it is important to keep in mind that your audience might be different from the overall average.
Therefore, you must identify for yourself when your audience is most active on Facebook, and then serve them your tailored content.
5. Determine Facebook Ads strategy
Whether you are starting out on Facebook or have been using it for a while, there is always a temptation to pay for brand exposure. However, growing your audience and brand loyalty does not happen overnight. But one great solution is advertising on Facebook. Research has shown that there are more than 4 million advertisers on Facebook, with an average click-through-rate of 9%. This goes to show that you will still need to effectively build your brand and showcase it with the right ads.
Your Facebook ad needs to be relevant. It is not wrong to target a wider audience, but you need to identify what works or suits you best to build brand awareness. Therefore, consider building custom audiences and address those who would fit your content. Ensure that your content provides some valuable, relevant, and fresh.
6. Track and monitor your results
To get the best out of Facebook, you should track metrics. This will give you a clear understanding of works for a better performance and what doesn’t. But to get a sense of what kind of metric you should track, you need to understand your goals. Do you want to –
- Increase followers
- Get more likes per post
- Want your content to be shared
- Increase your leads, sales, conversion, etc.
Therefore, you should first determine what you are focusing on and then opt for tools that will help you track the exact metrics.
Facebook will continue to grow large and wide with a greater audience and more relevant features to make users experience better. It is the wisdom of any business enterprise to make maximum use of the features provided by Facebook to improve their business, boost sales and establish a better relationship with customers so they can stay ahead in the competitive business environment.
This Facebook marketing tutorial aims at giving you a great start to Facebook marketing. If you follow these steps, track your metrics for growth performance, identify areas of improvement and make the required changes, you will definitely have a Facebook marketing strategy that will enable you to establish a strong social media presence.
Have you followed the steps in this Facebook marketing tutorial? Want more tips to create a Facebook marketing strategy? Let us know in the comments below!